Concerned that major disputes were slowing growth in the UAE and discouraging new capital investment, His Highness Sheikh Saeed Bin Ahmed Al Maktoum looked for a solution.
Noting that business dispute resolution was impeded by limited access to traditional majlis and the lack of any institution dedicated only to business mediation, His Highness tasked his Private Office with establishing The Mediation Centre.
The Mediation Centre complements existing means of dispute resolution in Dubai and acts as an alternative or precursor to the courts and the arbitration centres. We enjoy the support of leading businesses and law firms.
In order to obtain input and advice from its stakeholders, His Highness Sheikh Saeed created an Advisory Board which he co-chairs with former High Court Judge, Sir Gavin Lightman. The Advisory Board consists of leading international and local lawyers and representatives of prominent businesses.
The Advisory Board consists of leading international and local lawyers and representatives of prominent businesses, including:
- Paul Rose, Chartered Surveyor and Chartered Arbitrator and member of ArbDB Chambers, the first International Multidisciplinary Chambers for Arbitration, Mediation and Dispute Boards;
- Lubna Qassim, group company secretary and general counsel of Emirates NBD, a leading banking group in the region;
- Martin Kuriger, construction and commercial specialist of Al Rostamani Pegel, the civil contracting arm of the Al Rostamani Group, one of the largest and oldest business conglomerates in the UAE;
- Juma Al Bawardi, founder of Al Bawardi Legal Advocates and Consultants, a long established UAE law firm;
- Michael Kerr, managing partner for the Middle East region of international law firm Dentons;
- Abdulrahman Juma, senior litigator and deputy head of Hadef and Partners’ dispute resolution practice;
- Stuart Paterson, dispute resolution partner in Dubai of law firm Herbert Smith Freehills;
- Diana Hamade, lawyer and founder of Dubai law firm International Advocate Legal Services;
- Dr Mark Hoyle, Dubai-based partner of Gateley Plc.
- Mohammed Al Dahbashi, co-founder of Al Dahbashi Gray, a full-service UAE law firm;
- Rebecca Kelly, Dubai-based partner of international law firm Morgan Lewis;
- Yann Mrazek, lawyer and Chair of STEP Arabia, the worldwide professional association for those advising families across generations.
We offer parties the chance to achieve a commercial resolution and avoid costly and time-consuming court action.
We have one objective – to help resolve business disputes by achieving amicable settlements.
We are neutral – we do not favour any party.
Our approach is commercially-driven and not legally-focused.